Colours of home

Colours of home

Tuesday 1 April 2014

A Testing Wine

On the night we met, I told Maxime I thought French wine was overrated (I based my opinion on a plastic cup of Côtes du Rhône Villages I’d had on the plane from Australia. It tasted more like Coats du Rhône). I think I may also have told him I thought rosés were crap. Since then, of course, he has shown me (extensively) how wrong I was. Which was annoying … but then … from another point of view, rather nice.

And then things got serious. One evening in France, Maxime got out a bottle, which was not unusual. Then he faced the label away from me.

‘Guess,’ he said.

‘Guess what?’

‘What the wine is.’

Oh God.

‘Um …’ I began a stream of consciousness, working my way through grape varieties until arriving at what I thought might be a plausible answer, which was my way of playing for time. I could think of four red grape types: Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Merlot and Pinot Noir. This, I figured, gave me a one in four chance to get it right. ‘Ummm … Shiraz …?’ I said finally.

‘In France, it's Syrah. Syrah and?’

‘And what?’

‘And what other grape?’

‘Oh God, I don’t bloody know.’

‘Viognier.’

‘Never heard of it.’

How about the region? And the vintage?

‘What? You’ve got to be kidding!’ I laughed. ‘I’ve got no bloody idea. Look, the dinners getting cold.

‘1996. Côte-Rôtie. North Rhone,’ intoned Maxime.
`
‘1996 Rotty what? Can you really guess those things?’

I was skeptical. I also really hoped we wouldn’t be doing this every evening.

But now, in Australia, it’s revenge time! I’m the one that can guess the shirazes (mind you, I still wouldn’t be able to tell you if it was Heathcote or Yarra Valley). On the other hand, Maxime’s been working very hard to learn about Australian wine. A week after we arrived in Oz, he’d bought himself Jeremy Oliver’s wine guide, The Age Good Food Guide and other essentials and literally spent nights researching, cross-referencing between guides and looking on the net. The morning after a sleepless night, Maxime's notebook was full of notes in illegible handwriting and his head full of names like Clonakilla, Mount Mary, Bindi and Cullen.

‘What on earth are you doing, staying up all night reading about wine?’ I asked him.

‘I wasn’t sleeping anyway,’ he said.

‘Well you certainly won’t sleep if you spend all night looking up wines, that’s for sure.’

Some weeks later, we are at Giant Steps in Healesville for dinner, having done the Sanctuary with the kids. In an excess of folly, Maxime orders a Mount Mary Triolet, carefully hiding the price of it by putting his arm over the wine list. 
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgdCgGxj3x3TM8t8Vn0iPVAT6euToxjnGklkTInsBxi3lmS5_elb_csNtzuAucnFceAmNAT5cTIQvdHOORpUtAXn1jYgRfK4Wkljer-yY1WFwKQVMh1A1daB-mptefo4mkZQSDgLf9aHabZ/s1600/IMG_4704.JPG
He takes his first glass of it, tilts it this way and that, swirls it, inhales, another swirl and finally a sip, which he swishes around in his mouth for what seems an age while I’m waiting on the edge of my seat for the verdict. If he rubbishes one of Australia’s top wines I will bloody well tip it on him. But, mouth still full of wine, Maxime starts to nod his head while waving his free hand around like the Queen.

‘That is wine,’ he says finally.

I must say I find his critique of the wine to be a little on the simple side. But hey, at least Aussie wine has proved itself to one of the world’s most fussy frogs!
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST, SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE (see email subscription box in the sidebar)
For more on the wine, see https://www.mountmary.com.au/category/estate-wines/triolet/


2 comments:

  1. It would save a lot of trouble if he just went along and bought a case of Arrogant Frog - any variety - from Dan's or his friendly wine merchant if D. Murphy's seems too sterile. Once you have developed your taste buds to the level of rejecting all but the most rare and costly, you are the bound slave and captive of the rapacious gourmet wine industry. The French also have a problem with our style of tastings in Oz, don't they? Tasting over here is normally a ritual, not based on genuine discernment, indulged in mostly by crowds of bored retirees who mostly missed the degustation boat and are there because they must have something to do, and they want to impress their spouses and friends with their pretend wine savvy and the size of their credit card limit when the time comes for the rash minority to make the purchase. What happens is, the vintner doles out tiny little sips of each wine to the hordes, much too little for the true connoisseur to operate on, but plenty for the fake taster, who never uses the cuspidor (the dead give-away) and is inwardly calculating how many free sips make a free full glass. Our French hero, the taster extraordinaire, is reduced to indignant rage by the tiny offerings and demands more from the surly counter-person. Nobody is happy - the retirees go 'tutt-tutt, what a greedy cochon', the Gallic gentleman's wife develops an intense interest in the the ceiling and the bottle person demands an excessive tasting fee in a tone which suggests the customer will not feel like paying up. And by this time our French friend has had enough (insults, not wine), and he marches out, declaring that he hadn't wanted to try their cat's pee in the first place. So endeth a previously pleasant Sunday afternoon touring the wineries of Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, well, I should deal with what happens when Maxime goes to wineries here in another post ... you're right, it ain't necessarily pretty to watch! AT some point, I usually have to say to the winery staff, 'er, he's French.'

    Cuspidor ... so that's what call those things. Must check if Maxime knows!

    Hmmm, it would also save our budget if Maxime just bought Arrogant Frog ...

    ReplyDelete